How Much Does the YMCA Cost?
The YMCA started out in the 1800s as the Young Men’s Christian Association. Although the YMCA has changed a lot over time, it still has the basic focus of bettering people in the area. The goal of the Y is to nurture the potential of kids, to help people lead a healthier life, and to support neighbors while strengthening the surrounding communities. Through these values, YMCA has become a popular destination for people who want to lead a more fulfilling life. In order to fulfill all of the goals set by the YMCA, however, funds are needed to run each program. For this reason, there are membership dues that are necessary in order to be part of the programs offered by the Y.
How much does the YMCA cost?
- The cost to join YMCA will depend on the location and type of membership. On average, plan on spending anywhere from $30 to as much as $120 month. These prices will widely vary depending on how many people are going to use the membership (see chart below.)
- Daily passes can range anywhere from $4 for a youth to $12 for a family. A single adult can cost around $8 for the day.
- If you do not understand how YMCA works, you can definitely visit their website to gather more information regarding the matter. The website offers information regarding the functions provided by the organization as well as the cost to become a member. According to the website of YMCA, you can expect to pay anywhere from $100 to $150 depending if you are an adult, single parent family or a family. The monthly fee after paying the initial joining fee can cost you $50 to $81.
- YMCA Wichita can be considerate with their membership offers; there are some locations that will consider your income before they provide pricing for the membership. The website of YMCA Wichita factors in your income as well as number of dependents before they give you a quote of membership dues. The cost of membership in this area can range anywhere from $130 to $160 annually depending on the factors that have been stated above.
Youth (under 18)
$90 to $120
$280 to $350
Couple (Married Legally)
$380 to $450
$350 to $400
Single Parent with Family
$300 to $350
$500 to $600
$200 to $275
What is going to be included?
- When you join YMCA, you will be eligible for exclusive perks offered by the organization. You will be able to get free sessions with a personal trainer, custom workouts and tracking, as well as nutrition and planning. There are also 700 plus group exercises that you will be able to join as well.
- YMCA also offers free trial membership that can last for about 2 weeks. They could also provide a 50% discount if you fail to take advantage of the free membership.
- YMCA facilities are located all throughout the country. There are specific states that offer multi-location visits which allow you to go to different locations without paying added cost.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs involved when you join YMCA would be the monthly membership fee. This is a separate fee from the joining fee which is collected before the start of your membership.
- The more people that you add to the plan, the more you are going to have to pay. If there are more than 3 people, it is best to get a family membership.
- Most YMCA facilities offer child care. If this child care is used on a drop-basis, in which your child is only there while you work out, it may be included. If the child care is going to be used for more than that, such as a camp or for a specific workout class, there may be an extra cost.
- Additional programs such as camps and classes can be extra.
- The YMCA offers many programs for kids such as days camps and different sports programs. If your child takes part in a camp or sports program, there will be an additional fee. This fee covers things such as uniforms, referees, workers and coaches, and equipment.
Tips to know:
- YMCA can provide you a taste of how their organization works. To find out more about these, you can actually visit their location and apply for a free trial membership. This will allow you to experience how it feels to become a member of YMCA.
- The YMCA offers a wide variety of classes, programs, and facilities. For example, some Ys may have a pool while others do not. Each YMCA will differ in their facilities and programs, so make sure you decide what is important to you and then research which YMCA can offer it to you. When you become a member, make sure you ask whether you can use any YMCA facility or if you are only allowed to use one.
How can I save money?
- Pay your annual dues up front. When you pay by month, you can often pay $100 to $200 more than you have to.
- If you meet certain income requirements, some YMCA facilities will be more than happy to offer a discount.
- Look for special deals. There are many times where the Y will offer to waive the sign-up fees if you sign up during a specific time.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.