How Much Does Tilapia Cost?
Tilapia is a species of cichlid fish that comes from the tilapiine cichlid tribe. Tilapia can be found in a variety of fresh water areas such as streams and lakes. Tilapia is known as an invasive species for some bodies of water, often taking over and killing off other species in the area. Tilapia generally cannot survive in water that is cooler than 70 degrees. Because of its very low levels of mercury, Tilapia is a popular fish, especially for those on a vegetarian diet. The cost of tilapia will depend upon the time of the season, the freshness of the fish, and the store selling.
How much is it?
- Tilapia is generally quite cheap compared to other seafood, especially when purchased frozen. On average, tilapia can cost anywhere from $3 to as much as $8 per pound.
- Purchasing a frozen filet from the local grocery store can cost anywhere from $2 to $4 per pound.
- Imported tilapia is often going to be cheaper than purchasing tilapia within the United States. Fish purchased directly from the United States can cost as much as $8 to $10 per pound.
- Purchasing tilapia online will usually cost more than purchasing it at a local grocery store. For instance, a 2.5 pound package offered by the company Omaha Steaks retails for $24 to $49. This is already processed and can even come seasoned.
- According to this WashingtonPost.com article, fresh fillets can sell for $5 to $6 per pound, while a frozen fillet can sell for as cheap as $2 per pound.
What are the extra costs?
- Purchasing tilapia online can often incur additional shipping fees. Due to the sensitivity of the shipping, most retailers will not include shipping and handling charges unless you order in bulk.
- While this type of fish will usually taste great on its own, there are many recipes that can include special seasonings and more. If planning on adding seasonings, factor this in as an additional expense as well.
What is going to be included?
- Tilapia is very low in saturated fat and high in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Frozen packages purchased online often come filleted and even seasoned. For instance, the Omaha Steaks example mentioned above already comes with a tortilla crusted covering. All you will have to do is throw it in the oven for a few minutes and it will be ready to eat.
Tips to know:
- This type of fish is highly regarded by dieticians due to the nutrition that this fish can offer.
- Find out the area from which the fish has come. Farm raised tilapia does not offer as much nutrition as a fresh water fish due to the corn that farm feed Tilapia eats. It is best to spend a few extra dollars on fresher fish.
How can I save money?
- This type of fish is known to be the cheapest type of seafood available in stores. To get the most out of your savings, consider purchasing frozen boxes as these tend to be cheaper than purchasing fresh tilapia.
- While imported fish will usually be cheaper, many do not even notice the difference in taste. Research the name of the fish farm ahead of time to get a better idea of the quality of the fish.
- Wholesale clubs such as Costco often sell massive boxes of Tilapia at a low price. If looking for a bulk purchase, consider checking here if you have a membership. This will also save you on shipping costs.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.