How Much Does Uber Rides Cost?
Uber is a way to call for a car using a mobile phone app. For drivers, it is a way to fill in supplementary work at times when they may otherwise be sitting around.
How much is it?
- Uber’s pricing is similar to that of metered taxis even though all the hiring and payment of Uber Ride is handled exclusively via Uber and not personally with the driver. Uber charges a fee calculated on a distance basis when the vehicle is traveling faster than 11 mph (miles per hour). Otherwise, the fee is calculated on a time basis below that speed. If you download the app, you will be able to get an estimate based on your current location and final destination.
- On average, be prepared to spend about $8 for a base price and up to $5 per mile. If you’re not driving and stuck in traffic, the price drops to $1.25 per idle minute. As of 2014, there is a $15 minimum for all rides.
- The official Uber.com blog notes that the average ride is going to be double of a cab ride; however, when you put everything in perspective, it is well worth it when you factor in your valuable time.
- According to Dappered.com, they paid $24 for a 20-minute ride in Washington, D.C.
What is going to be included?
- Uber is an American venture funded start-up and transportation network company that is based in San Francisco, California. Uber created a mobile phone application software which links passengers with drivers of cars for hire, as well as ridesharing services.
- The company arranges pickups in multiple cities around the world. The vehicles are reserved through sending a text message or by utilizing a mobile app. By using the apps, clients can track their reserved vehicle’s location. Uber charges high prices as a form of premium that the clients pay for a cab service that is reliable as well as punctual and comfortable.
What are the extra costs?
- There is a $7 base charge once you get into an Uber vehicle, in addition to the time and distance fees.
- The final charges include any tolls and a tip, and this is billed to your credit card automatically.
Tips to know
- Uber takes 20% off the fees charged, with the driver receiving the rest.
- Based on your experience, you will enjoy getting a spiffier and more spacious vehicle compared to those offered by the yellow cabs, and you will be able to know exactly when it would arrive and the price is of a good value.
How can I save money?
- Uber, the car hire service of the future, has tested and is currently rolling out a low-cost, mid-range option known overseas as UberX in a number of cities. The UberX is the low-cost version of Uber which sees riders provided with hybrid and mid-range vehicles inside the Uber network that the company guarantees have been rigorously checked for safety and quality.
- Be on the lookout for any special offers or coupon codes. If Uber is new to your city, you may be able to find a promotional gift card code.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.