How Much Does Car Keyless Entry Installation Cost?
A remote keyless entry system is designed to allow access to a car using a tiny remote that attaches to a key chain. This remote can lock, unlock, open trunks and even sound alarms. Keyless entry pads may also be installed on the door handle where the car owner can simply input a PIN to gain access to the car without using a key.
While most newer cars come equipped with keyless entry installed by the factory, third party devices can be installed.
The cost of one will depend upon the features included, the brand, and the shop installing it.
How much is it?
- On average, a car keyless entry system can cost anywhere from $25 to as much as $150 for the keyless entry system alone, and these prices would not include professional labor. To have keyless entry installed by a professional, the charges can range anywhere from $100 to $300 for labor alone. In conclusion, including the parts, the total costs should be about $175 to $425.
- For example, the popular product Bulldog Keyless Entry System retails for $40 to $55. This particular system includes a four-button transmitter as well as all necessary parts to hook it up to any make or model. The online retailer, CommandoAlarms.com, sells keyless entry kits that cost anywhere from $30 to $50.
- At Best Buy, for example, their installation charges will be $75, and this price won’t include the parts.
What is going to be included?
- Most keyless entry kits will come with two to four key chains. On most standard kits, the key chain will have an unlock, lock, panic, and trunk release button. Some kits may also have a built-in alarm that signals when someone tries to open the door while it’s locked. If unauthorized access is attempted, a kill switch may be activated. Systems that have an alarm included will often cost about 30 to 40 percent more.
What are the extra costs?
- Depending on the make and model of the car, additional wiring kits and parts may be necessary in order to perform the job properly, adding to the labor estimates mentioned above. Because of these additional parts, you may have to pay more in labor costs as well.
- Many car owners opt to have a keypad installed on the car door as well. If this option is chosen, additional fees may apply. On average, this type of system will cost anywhere from $150 to as much as $400 to have installed, depending on the system you choose. This installation process is going to depend upon the type of car, the complexity of the install as well as other factors.
- Other accessories may be added for an additional fee such as adding a dome light illumination or a starter disable, which as mentioned in the alarm section, will disable the starter with a click of your button.
- If this is an older model car, power locks may have to be installed on the car since manual locks will not work with a keyless entry system. To do this, a new power door lock and actuator will have to installed inside the door.
Top sellers on Amazon
Tips to know
- Pay close attention to the entry system labeling. A single door remote entry system will only unlock the driver’s side door, while the multiple door system will open all doors, including the trunk. According to YourMechanic.com a single entry remote entry will be safer.will be safer.
- Before purchasing a system, see how far the transmitter can go. If you plan on using it from a distance, then it may be wise to purchase one that can transmit further than 50 feet.
- Take a look at the warranty information and try to purchase a brand that offers decent coverage.
How can I save money?
- Consider installing the kits without the help of a professional. There are various videos online that can help.
- If you have your eyes set on a keyless entry system, it’s best to get a complete kit that includes a remote starter, alarm system and keyless entry. While the price may cost a tad more than just the keyless entry, it’s going to give you a lot more features that you can use down the road.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.