How Much Does Kroger Charge to Cash Checks?
Kroger is one place that people can cash checks. People often go here if they do not have a bank account. People may also do this when they are unable to wait for their deposited check to become available for them to spend.
How much is it?
- On average, Kroger charges $3 to $5 to cash checks in amounts up to $950. According to online sources, this is the maximum amount a person can cash at one time. However, the amount is subject to change based on each store’s individual policy if they are not part of a larger group of stores in their state.
- According to this USA Today article, Kroger will charge $3 to cash a tax refund check, and if the check is over $2,000, they will charge $5.
- This Topix.com thread states that most Krogers in the area charge $5 to cash a payroll check.
What is going to be included?
- The $3 fee covers the cashing a single check. No extras are provided for this, and stores may refuse to cash payroll checks over $950.
- Most Kroger stores will cash payroll checks or government checks, but there are many locations that will not cash personal checks at all. Call before you go to the store to ensure they will cash the type of check that you have.
What are the extra costs?
- If you were to purchase a reloadable debit card to deposit the check that you cashed at Kroger, you might have to pay deposit fees. You also might have to pay maintenance fees if you choose to put that money on a debit card.
- Bank Account. Instead of having to hassle with cashing checks at Kroger, try to open your own bank account. This is usually free to do as long as you keep a minimum amount in the account. You can cash any type of check in any amount when you have a bank account.
- Issuing Bank. If you were written a personal check and cannot find a service that will cash it for you, you can go to the issuing bank and get it cashed. Look at the check for the bank information. Since the bank can check the check writer’s account and verify his signature, they can make sure that it is a valid check and that there are enough funds to cover the written amount.
Tips to know:
- Kroger is not available in every state of the United States; therefore, not everyone can take advantage of the cash checking services. Some people might have to find a different store in their area to cash their payroll checks. However, if people can cash their checks, they will be able to do it for less money than it would cost at other places.
- Call up your local Kroger ahead of time to know exactly what your local store will charge.
- Be sure to have a valid I.D. to properly cash your check.
- There are some places that offer a machine or even an app that allows you to cash a check very conveniently. This may not help you avoid fees, but it will help you get the check cashed quickly.
How can I save money?
- If you budget your money correctly, you might not need your money the same day you receive your paycheck. If you do this, you could deposit your check in your bank and wait a couple of days to withdraw the money if you need it. This could save you at least $6 per month if you receive a payment every two weeks. That may not seem like much, but that equals $72 per year.
- If you need your money right now, it’s far cheaper to cash it at a store like Kroger. Otherwise, you could pay stiff fees at a check cashing place, up to $3 per every $100 in addition to a flat fee. However, it does not hurt to compare prices at other cash checking retailers.
- Highly consider opening up a bank account at a local bank or credit union to avoid fees.
- There are some apps and services that offer a reloadable card on which the funds will be placed rather than giving cash. This will work just like a debit card but may incur a slight monthly charge.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.