How Much Does Mozzarella Cheese Cost?
Mozzarella is one of the most popular types of cheese that is used today. The flavor is subtle with just a hint of saltiness. The price you pay for mozzarella will depend on the the type, the amount that you need, and the store you purchase it from.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a fresh pound of mozzarella cheese is going to range anywhere from $5 to $11 per pound.
- According to Oprah.com, fresh mozzarella from Murray’s cheese is $8 per pound.
- Shredded cheese, on the other hand, is going to retail for $2 to $5 per 8 to 16-ounce container. This is the cheese that is typically found in the cheese aisle at your major grocery stores.
- For instance, a big supermarket such as Walmart.com sells their Great Value Shredded low-moisture part-skim Mozzarella cheese 8 ounce for $2 to $4.
- Wegmans, another popular grocery store, sells their Gluten free Whole Milk Mozzarella for $2 for an eight ounce container.
- For those that want to make their own Mozzarella, the kits can cost anywhere from $20 to as much as $80. For instance, the Roaring Brook Dairy Mozzarella Cheese Making Kit retails for $22.
What is going to be included?
- Most mozzarella cheese is made of pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes, potato starch, calcium sulphate and natamycin. It contains 22% saturated fat and 15 mg of cholesterol.
- All mozzarella cheeses are shipped to you in a sealed container if you purchase online. That way, freshness is assured and you will not end up with spoiled cheese at your doorstep.
- Mozzarella cheese can come in large bricks that can be cut or shredded yourself. It can also come shredded to be sprinkled on top of different dishes. If you purchase the cheese from the deli, they can either shred it for you or slice it into a range of thicknesses.
What are the extra costs?
- If you purchase your mozzarella cheese online, you will most likely have to pay for shipping or delivery charges. Because it is perishable, this might be be more expensive than the average shipping charges.
- If you are going to purchase a block of mozzarella, you will need to get some different tools. There are hand shavers you can use to slice it or you can purchase an automatic slicer. There are also tools that can help you shred your own cheese.
Factors that influence the price:
- Amount of cheese. A 6 portion case could be more costly compared to a pound of cheese.
- Variety. Mozzarella cheese comes in different varieties. It could be smoked, aged or unaged. It could also be made using skim milk to lower the fat content.
- Form. Usually, you could see that mozzarella cheeses sold in supermarkets are shredded. It could also be in a form of a bar or packed in a box.
Tips to know:
- Buy aged mozzarella cheese if you want it to last longer. It is drier and more salty.
- If you want the creamy goodness of mozzarella cheese, buy smoked mozzarella. The flavor is extreme to your palate.
- Do not store fresh cheese for a very long time. You need to consume it quickly so that it does not spoil and go to waste. Only purchase as much as you can use within the date of expiration.
- Enjoy the best of what mozzarella cheese has to offer. You could add fresh tomatoes, basil and put it on toast. Add a dash of olive oil and you will be surprised with the explosion of flavors.
- Do not store mozzarella cheese with other cheeses in the same container. This can greatly affect the taste of the cheese.
- Put the cheese in a plastic container and put a couple of paper towels. This will absorb extra moisture and keep the cheese fresher for longer.
How can I save money?
- Make your own mozzarella rather than purchasing it. Consider buying a mozzarella kit and make your own mozzarella at home.
- You could also attend cheese making workshops so you will not have to buy mozzarella cheese. This will also give you some experience in the art so that your mozzarella will be of the highest quality.
- If you are just looking for a bag of shredded cheese from a name brand company, do not forget to look for coupons and sales at your local grocery store.
- Like any foods, the more you purchase, the more you are going to be able to save. If you can, try to purchase as much as you can up front to save a dollar or so per pound.