How Much Does Toenail Fungus Laser Treatment Cost?
While there isn’t a known cure for nail fungus, there are oral medications, creams and a procedure known as the nail fungus laser treatment that may help kick the fungus to the curb.
Toenail fungus affects more than 30 million people in the United States alone, and it can cause the toenail to become very hard, ultimately turning yellow.
How much does toenail fungus laser treatment cost?
- On average, most clinics are going to charge anywhere from $200 to as much as $700 per session. This will depend on the clinic you go to, the equipment being used, the number of nails, the geographical location and how many sessions you will need. Many patients find they will need more than one session to see desirable results. For a combination of three sessions and to see desirable results, most patients pay about $700 to $2,000 total.
- According to an article in the Wall Street Journal, they claim that the laser nail fungus treatment cost can easily be $750 to as much as $1,500 per treatment. As mentioned above, plan on paying out of pocket since most insurance companies won’t cover a procedure such as this one.
- The national average cost, according to asafoot.com, is $500 to $1,200.
- Agoura-Los Robles Podiatry Centers in California charges $400 for up to five nails and $600 when all 10 are done. They recommend re-treating the nails every three months, and this touchup procedure would cost $100.
- Keep in mind that many health insurance policies won’t cover this type of procedure since many will deem it as a cosmetic procedure.
Factors that affect the price:
- The mount of toes: The more toes that need to be treated, the higher the price may be. This will be the case with all laser procedures.
- Complexity: The thicker the nails are, the costlier the operation can be. Thicker nails can lead to more than one treatment.
- Geographical Location: With anything, the area where the patient is located can factor the cost. A larger metropolitan city will cost a lot less than a city located in the middle of the United States.
What is going to be included?
- Before the procedure will even begin, the doctor will want to set up a consultation appointment to make sure you’re a qualified candidate for the procedure.
- During the procedure, the toenails will be thinned out using a special grinder. After, the nails will be treated with the laser. The laser technology is going to use infrared lights that will kill the fungi growing on the toes. This laser is not only going to kill the fungi, but it’s also going to promote healthy skin growth. This laser will pass through the nail plate eliminating the viruses and bacteria present on the toes. Depending on the first session, you may be asked to come back within the next few weeks.
- Each treatment should take up to 45 minutes if all toes have to be worked on. This will depend on the type of laser being used. Plan on two to three minutes per toe.
- Most patients report little to no pain once the procedure is done. Like any medical procedure, everyone will see different results.
What are the extra costs?
- Most insurance companies won’t cover these procedures. Be prepared to pay the full price out of pocket.
- If you need more than one session, be prepared to pay more money up front for future visits. For best results, vets may want to repeat the procedure every six months.
- The initial exam may cost up to $150.
Tips to know:
- This procedure is very new and the results haven’t been proven yet. Be sure to talk with your doctor before spending over a few thousand dollars to have the job done. You may find that the results aren’t what you want. At the moment, there is only one company that has been approved by the FDA.
- Results don’t happen overnight. In fact, depending on the laser that is used, it may take upwards of four months before results are noticed.
- Be sure to ask your doctor what kind of laser they use. When you get the name, try to look up clinical trials online to see what the results are like. What you will find is that many results are going to vary among the brands that are out there.
- Each session should take no more than 10 minutes. After the job has been done, the doctor will then recommend if other sessions are going to be required.
- You should be able to resume regular activities almost immediately after the procedure is done. You’re also able to apply nail polish to the nail immediately after.
Types of lasers used to treat fungus:
- Cutera Genesis Plus(TM): A light and portable machine that can be moved from room to room can produce treatments that only last as little as 15 minutes. Being able to deliver more than 100 pulses a second, almost more than 70 percent that were treated have seen satisfying results. The average cost for this laser treatment ranges in the $700 to $1,000 range, depending on the number of toes.
- PintPointe(TM) FootLaser(TM): One of the only lasers on the market to have received FDA clearance. They had received this clearance back in 2010. The average treatment for this particular laser will last up to 30 minutes and can cost upwards of $750 to $1,500. Early studies have indicated that patients have had a success rate of more than 80 percent.
- Q-Clear(TM) Laser: This laser can remove a majority of the fungus, but it can take some time compared to most other lasers. Receiving FDA marketing approval, the Q-Clear(TM) tends to be fast and has a low cost.
- VARIABreeze(TM) Laser: The company, CoolTouch Inc., has been making lasers since 1994. With each laser treatment taking as little as 20 minutes, most doctors will recommend that you take up to three to four treatments to see satisfying results. Starting in the mid-$300 range, the cost can shoot up, depending upon how much the patient needs in terms of treatments.
How can I save money?
- Consult with your family doctor before you start this procedure. There are many prescriptions out there that may get rid of the problem.
- Many various creams out there may help you and only can cost $10+
- Consider looking for a study in your area. There may be a clinic that will be more than happy to perform the test on you and pay you for it. These tests can commonly be found on various websites online.
- Groupon will offer daily deals for local doctors/clinics who offer this procedure from time to time. This is a great way to save up to 70%.
- If you feel you’re going to need more than one procedure, see if the clinic offers a package deal to help save you money.
- Some clinics may offer payment plans to spread out your payments.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.