How Much Does an Outboard Motor Cost?
An outboard motor is used on a boat and is mounted outside the boat on the back. This is different from an inboard boat motor, which is built into the body of the boat.
How much does it cost?
- On average, the cost of a new outboard motor can be as little as $900 to as much as $25,000 or more. Take a look at the chart below to get a good idea what each type of motor is going to cost. The costs will depend on the brand, horsepower, condition and where you purchase it from.
- At Boats.net, for instance, outboard motors can range anywhere from as little as $2,500 to as much as $22,000. A Four Stroke Portable Outboard Motor ranges from $2,480 to $2,974 while a Four Stroke Midrange costs around $6,024 to $7,350. A Four Stroke High Thrust is around $6,745 while a Four Stroke V8 5.3L F350 costs around $20,995 to $21,800.
- You can also check out Nadaguides.com for the cost of various types and brands of outboard motors.
$900 to $1,500
$1,300 to $2,000
$1,600 to $2,300
$2,100 to $2,900
$2,600 to $3,300
$3,000 to $3,500
$3,200 to $3,800
$3,400 to $4,000
$5,000 to $6,000
$6,000 to $7,000
$6,500 to $7,500
$7,200 to $8,000
$7,300 to $8,300
$8,200 to $9,200
$9,100 to $10,100
$10,300 to $12,100
$11,000 to $13,500
$14,500 to $17,500
$16,700 to $19,500
$17,900 to $20,000
$20,000 to $23,000
$21,000 to $25,000
NOTE: This chart is just for the horsepower only. This does not factor in the brand, starting system, year, length, weight, etc. These are just ranges and keep in mind that they can vary according to so many circumstances.
What is going to be included?
- An outboard motor is a propulsion system for a boat. It is developed as a self-contained unit which includes an engine, subsidiary systems, and propeller designed to be mounted at the stern of the craft.
- Outboard motors are going to have a certain amount of horsepower, a dry weight, a number of cylinders, start type (electric or manual) and a fuel type, which is usually gasoline. Horsepower will usually range from 15 to 115 HP. However, some can be as high as 350.
- Common shaft lengths include 15″, 20″ and 25″.
- The cost of an outboard motor may include the cost of materials or parts, installation, and labor.
- Popular brands of outboard motors include Evinrude, Honda, Mercury, Tohatsu and Yamaha.
- Handling, shipping or delivery costs may also be included in the selling price of the outboard motor (in some cases).
What are the extra costs?
- Sometimes, purchasing an outboard motor may require extra charges for handling, packaging, shipping, or delivery. This is applicable when you buy the motor online.
- Maintenance, such as tune-ups or an outboard motor rebuild, down the road needs to be budgeted for. For instance, an outboard motor tune up costs around $300 to $400 depending on the level of service required. The average cost of an outboard tune up is around $300 to $400, depending on the level of service the mechanic does. Meanwhile, an outboard motor rebuild runs around $1,200 to $4,000.
Tips to know
- Shop around for the cost of an outboard motor in your area or go online and do a little research of your own. You can then compare price estimates and choose the best option that would fit your needs, and most importantly, your budget. Marinas and other shops are going to highly vary with their pricing.
- Some of the differences between inboard and outboard motors can cause you to wonder which one is best. While the horsepower can be the same, an inboard motor will be lighter than an outboard, meaning the boat will be agiler. An outboard motor, however, is easier to work on in case there is a problem or maintenance is needed.
How can I save money?
- Take advantage of promos and discounts when you buy an outboard motor so that you can save on costs.
- If you buy an outboard motor from an online store or another country, you can save money if shipping or delivery is provided for free.
- Purchasing an outboard motor used can save you more money than purchasing new. While it is a pinch more than rebuilding a motor, it is a great way to save up to 50%.