How Much Do Passport Photos Cost?
Passport photos are photographs submitted to a government agency responsible for processing a passport. The photos have specifications that should be observed in order to be considered being placed on this government document. Specifications state that the picture should be a 2 by 2 inches and that the bottom and the top of the chin to the top of the head should be between 1 and 1 3/8 inches. The person being photographed should not wear any caps, glasses or anything that can limit their facial identity. The price will depend on where you get the photo taken.
How much is it?
- On average, a passport photo is going to cost anywhere from $4 to as much as $15 depending on the location.
- There are several locations where you can have your passport photo taken; even the biggest supermarkets can provide the service to you. One popular chain of supermarkets such as Wal-Mart lists the price for passport photos at $4 for 2 photos.
- For your convenience, OnlinePassportPhoto.com shows a list of the prices for their services. This website is an online site where you can upload your photo and make a payment to them. They will send the photo right to your doorstep for $1 – $6, depending on the number of photos.
- Costco.com has a special rate for members which is around $5 to $6 depending on the number of photos that you would like taken. Walgreens also does photos for $8 to $10. Another popular place such as Kinkos is on the higher end, charging upwards of $15 per photo.
- According to this Yelp forum thread, most members on this site paid anywhere from $10 to as much as $15. A fair majority of them recommended that the pictures are taken at Costco, if you’re a member here.
What is going to be included?
- Depending on the you choose, the number of photos included will be different. The service will also provide you the use of a mirror and other items that can help your appearance in the picture.
- The photographer will take a passport approved photo. This can then be processed within 10 to 30 minutes.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs are only applicable if you purchase additional photos. The price for this is based on the pricing stated by the establishment but it can be lower than the original price.
- The passport is going to be an additional cost as well. See: “How much does a passport cost?“
How can I save money?
- There are websites that offer free passport photos. You can check these sites and see what they offer so that you don’t have to drive to the nearest establishment to have your picture taken.
- Some establishments such as the United States Postal Service offer picture and passport packages. This is a great place to get everything done all in one place.
- Check local pharmacies to see if they are holding any specials. Many major pharmacies such as Walgreens offer coupons where you can get passport photos for as little as $5. If you don’t receive a coupon book in the mail, consider looking on their website for downloadable versions.