How Much Does a Personal Driver Cost?
A personal driver, also known as a chauffeur, is a person that drives vehicles to a particular destination. This type of driver is either employed by a service or is self-employed.
While most services charge by the hour, businesses or even individuals can hire a chauffeur on a permanent basis.
The cost of a personal driver is going to depend on the geographical location, the service, the driver and how long the driver is needed.
How much is it?
- For a personal driver that will drive your car, the rates can range anywhere from $22 to $66 per hour. Most chauffeur services are going to have a two to three-hour minimum. For example, a three-hour ride round trip could cost anywhere from $66 to $200.
- If you need the car and the driver, the costs can be between $45 and $85 per hour, depending on the size of the car,
- DrivenDFW, for example, charges $35 per hour.
- Another service, Private Driver LA, charges $40 per hour and they will require a three-hour minimum as well.
What is going to be included?
- Most private drivers will ask for a four-hour window. Once an appointment is made, the driver will offer a pickup date and time. If it is a round trip, the driver can wait or come back later for a pickup. Some companies will provide their own car, but if you do research online, what you may find is that some will use your car instead.
What are the extra costs?
- While optional, most drivers will expect a tip. These tips can be anywhere from 10 to 20% of the total bill.
- Last minute appointments that are made outside of their recommended time can result in a premium fee.
- If the driver has to wait for a pickup, they will charge during this time even though they are not driving.
- Drivers that have to stay overnight will need to have room and board paid for. This is usually the case if they were to drive your car and you needed to have them drive to a location a few hours away.
How can I save money?
- Senior citizens, military and students commonly get discounts. Check with the service to see if any discounts are available.
- Pre-ordered rides that are made well in advance can result in a discount.
- If needing a personal driver because of a health issue, highly consider using a taxi service or Uber. These cars can show up at your door within minutes and can be the same price, if not cheaper in some areas.
- Some companies have a VIP club that gives discounts to those that purchase on a regular basis.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.