How Much Does Publix Charge to Cash a Check?
Publix is a chain of grocery stores that allows their customers to cash checks by accepting personal and employer checks. This is not only convenient for their customers, but also for the store. It is a hassle-free process for customers to cash their checks and shop in the store afterward.
How much is it?
- Checks that a customer can cash at Publix is limited to personal and employer checks only. Other checks, such as rebate and tax returns, are not accepted at any branches. At some of the stores, a maximum of $75 on personal checks is what a customer can cash. However, this varies with the store and the money available at hand, meaning that some of the store’s branches can cash larger amounts. Typically Publix will charge you $3 to $4 to cash your check at any of the stores, with a limit of $75 on personal checks; but again, this could vary when it comes to employer checks that have a larger figure. As for payroll checks, most customers have claimed they were able to cash checks that were up to $500.
- According to Publix on Facebook, they state that they will cash personal checks up to $75, and the maximum amount will vary from store to store depending on the amount of cash that they have on hand.
What is going to be included?
- In order to cash a check at Publix, you must provide them with a photo identification. This can include your driver’s license, military identification or a state-issued I.D.
What are the extra costs?
- If you were to purchase a reloadable debit card to deposit the check that you cashed at Publix, you might have to pay deposit fees. You also might have to pay maintenance fees if you choose to put that money on a debit card.
- Bank Account. Instead of having to hassle with cashing checks at Kroger, try to open your own bank account. This is usually free to do as long as you keep a minimum amount in the account. You can cash any type of check in any amount when you have a bank account.
- Issuing Bank. If you were written a personal check and cannot find a service that will cash it for you, you can go to the issuing bank and get it cashed. Look at the check for the bank information. Since the bank can check the check writer’s account and verify his signature, they can make sure that it is a valid check and that there are enough funds to cover the written amount.
Tips to know:
- Different customers have reported that the stores, at times, do not honor what their sign boards indicate the maximum amount they can cash. If talking to the customer care or the brand manager does not sort out the issue, simply ask for the corporate number. Two things happen at that time. Your check will simply be cashed or they will give you the number. The latter rarely happens.
- As stated above, Publix will not cash refund checks, rebate checks, personal checks written by another party and deposit checks from utility companies.
- Before heading to your local Publix, call up them up to see what their limitations on. By getting the information ahead of time, this will save on a trip if they will not be able to cash your check.
- There are some places that offer a machine or even an app that allows you to cash a check very conveniently. This may not help you avoid fees, but it will help you get the check cashed quickly.
How can I save money?
- If you budget your money correctly, you might not need your money the same day you receive your paycheck. If you do this, you could deposit your check in your bank and wait a couple of days to withdraw the money if you need it. This could save you at least $6 per month if you receive a payment every two weeks. That may not seem like much, but that equals $72 per year.
- Consider opening up an account at your local bank to save on check cashing fees.
- If you want to cash your check at a local grocery store or place that charges a cash checking fee, it is ideal to compare rates with a handful of places in town.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.