How Much Does Ricotta Cheese Cost?
Ricotta cheese isa whey cheese made from either a cow, sheep, goat or even water buffalo. This cheese is made by coagulating the proteins that remain after the casein has been used to create the cheese. Ricotta will be creamy white and is sweeter in tasted when compared to other cheese. Depending on the brand, the fat content will vary.
How much is it?
- Ricotta cheese is usually processed and packed in containers sold at your local grocery stores. It is manufactured by a lot of companies that make cheeses and are sold at different prices. The cost to purchase ricotta cheese will also depend on the animal from which the cheese was taken since it can come from cows, sheep or goats. On average, a pound of ricotta can range from $6 to $18.
- For example, a pound of Ricotta Salata Cheese retails for $8 to $10 per pound. Ricotta cheese that is ideal for grating can cost a pinch more, ranging from $12 to $15 per pound.
- Markys.com is an online retailer which sells gourmet ingredients from caviar to different types of cheeses. The ricotta cheese that they sell is made from sheep’s milk soft cheese. It can be used in salads, and pasta dishes and it has a milky, nutty and sweet flavor at the same time. The price of the cheese through this particular retailer ranges from $6 to $8.
- The Ricotta and Cheese Factory is another online store that sells ricotta cheese. They sell a variety of ricotta cheese from Tuscan style to Greca or Greek style ricotta cheese. Also available is ricotta cheese imported from Sicily; this is sold for anywhere from $8 to $15 per pound.
What is going to be included?
- Ricotta cheese is made from the leftover whey of different types of cheeses. It can come from sheep or cows. The cheese’s flavor varies from mild to strong depending on your preference.
- There is ricotta cheese that originated from Sicily, which offers the perfect climate when making ricotta cheese since the weather is hot and dry. The cheese is lightly salted and aged for a minimum of three months.
What are the extra costs?
- Ricotta cheese is a type of ingredient that can be used instantly. It will already be prepared by the manufacturer to be used out of the packaging. If you are planning to make your own ricotta cheese, the ingredients and equipment that you will use are the only additional costs that will be incurred.
Tips to know:
- There are literally dozens of types of ricotta cheese available on the market; this enables you to have several options. The best ricotta cheese comes from Italy, but the taste of the milk varies depending on the source. Most commonly, people prefer ricotta cheese that came from sheep.
How can I save money?
- Since this is a food ingredient, do not mind the price of the cheese if the quality and taste it provides is second to none. Although if you are on a budget, you can consider buying cheaper variety of ricotta. You can simply go in a grocery store and compare the products side by side or you can do the comparison online where many sites offer price comparisons of different products.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.