How Much Does Romaine Lettuce Cost?
Romaine lettuce is a variety of lettuce that grows in the tall head of sturdy leaves rather than the small round head of lettuce such as iceberg lettuce. Romaine lettuce is preferred by many people over other lettuce types for its crispness and sweet flavor. It is commonly used in a Caesar salad and in Middle eastern cuisine.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a head of romaine lettuce is going to range anywhere from $3 to $6 in your local grocery store. The costs will depend on the grocery store, the type of lettuce and time of year.
- Organic romaine lettuce can often be sold for $2 to $3 higher than non-organic.
- For instance, the online store Shopalacart.com sells romaine lettuce for $2 to $5 per heart.
- The online store, Deliciousorchardsnjonline.com, had a head of romaine lettuce weighing approximately 1.25 pounds that retailed for $2.49 a pound, bringing the cost to $3.12.
- It was reported by Abclocal.go.com that at one time lettuce prices in the west rose to almost double the price due to freezing temperatures in its location sources in southwestern Arizona where most of this produce is grown during the winter. When this happened, the price of a carton from the sources jumped to $25 from what used to be $8. Any changes in the prices at the source will trickle down to an increase in prices for retail consumers.
What is going to be included?
- There are so many vitamins and minerals that are offered by romaine lettuce. One serving (2 cups) of romaine lettuce provides over 100% of your daily value of Vitamin A and Vitamin K. In addition, it is a good source of Vitamin C. There are also many minerals present in romaine lettuce as well as antioxidants. Some antioxidants are believed to prevent certain types of cancer.
- Aside from all the vitamin and mineral contents already mentioned, romaine lettuce also provides the best support to weigh loss efforts of a person trying to shed excess pounds since it only contains 17 calories per serving. Eating large portions will not bring more calories to your body. Also, its high water content can give a quicker feeling of being full when eating, causing you to eat less.
- Since romaine lettuce contains high fiber content, about 2 grams of fiber per serving, it helps in the elimination process and helps keep the digestive tract clean.
- The high content of vitamin C in romaine lettuce prevents cholesterol build-up and keeps the heart healthy.
- Romaine lettuce is also a good source of potassium that not only promotes cardiovascular function but also stronger muscles.
What are the extra costs?
- If you are going to use the romaine lettuce to make a salad, you will need other ingredients. These will depend on your preference of what you like on your salads.
Factors the influence the price:
- Season. The season of the year will influence the price of romaine lettuce since it is grown more efficiently in the summer months.
- Store. The store from which you buy your romaine lettuce can determine the price you pay. If it is a regular grocery store it may be on the cheaper end; if it is in a health food store that carries mostly organic food, it will be on the higher end of the price spectrum.
- Amount. The more romaine lettuce you purchase at a time, the cheaper it will be. For example, purchasing romaine lettuce from a warehouse will cost less per head than it would in a grocery store.
Tips to know:
- The time of day the lettuce is harvested influences its crispness. Best times are early in the day. Immediately after being harvested, the lettuce should be rinsed and spun. Once it is placed in plastic or cloth bags, it should be chilled inside the refrigerator before it is served.
- Romaine lettuce is crispier when heads are mature.
How can I save money?
- Romaine lettuce packed in bags and hearts tend to cost a bit more than just romaine lettuce heads.
- Like anything in the grocery store, this type of lettuce can often be found on sale. Keep your eyes peeled in their weekly circular.
- If you are going to make a Caesar salad, there are kits that include the lettuce, croutons, Caesar dressing, and cheese. This will save you from having to purchase each item separately.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.