How Much Does a Rottweiler Cost?
The Rottweiler is a medium-large, powerful dog and black with clearly defined rust markings. Rottweilers, generally, are a large, impressive breed that offers the ultimate protection and companionship.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the dog’s bloodline, quality, the breeder, inclusions and geographical location, the cost of a rottweiler can range anywhere from as little as $300 to as much as $1,600. Generally, a well-bred rottweiler is going to cost $800 to $1,500.
- It is not uncommon to find Rottweilers that cost as little as $200 to $500. With these lower prices, the dogs tend to have a vague history; they can potentially be unhealthy or older.
- Rottweilers can cost $800 to $1,500 depending on the dog’s quality, according to Angelfire.com.
- On the other hand, Puppyfind.com said that the price of rottweilers can differ depending on the age and breeder. On this pet classified site, for example, the prices range anywhere from $350 to as much as $1,300.
What is going to be included?
- When you purchase a rottweiler, you are getting a dog that is intelligent enough to be a police dog, herder, a service dog, or a therapy dog. This is ideal since the rottweiler is happiest when it has a job or duty to perform. However, if you are simply getting a rottweiler as a pet, it can provide excellent protection and can be a great addition to your family. This breed is self-confident and is patient in assessing a situation before acting.
- A reputable breeder will include registration papers, up to date vaccinations, an initial vet exam, a health certificate, and a guarantee.
- The vaccinations, at a minimum, should include parvo, rabies, kennel cough and distemper.
- If the dog is a pedigree or registered with any outside organization, such as the AKC, the papers proving this will be included.
- If you buy Rottweilers online from certain breeders, some include the shipping fee in their price. Make sure that you read the fine print before the purchase agreement is made.
What are the extra costs?
- If you buy online and the dog needs to be shipped, the shipping fee of the dog will be an extra cost to consider. Plan on spending around $200 to $400 to ship a dog via an airline. If you need the shipping crate as well, plan a little more than that.
- Do not forget the care needed throughout the life of the dog. This care can include things such as vet bills, food, shelter, accessories and more. Plan on budgeting at least $50 per month to care for your dog.
- Common procedures that have to be done once the dog is adopted can include a spaying or neutering.
- This breed is not going to come as a protective dog right away. It is going to take a handful of obedience classes to get them to the level that you are happy with. With that being said, be prepared to pay for training classes that can last up to a few years.
Factors that influence the price:
- The age. The age of the dog can influence the price because younger dogs are much more expensive than older dogs.
- The quality. The quality can also affect the selling price of a dog. Of course, high-quality dogs are much more expensive than dogs without a champion bloodline.
Tips to know:
- If you are going to buy a dog online, you should know first the background of the seller. You should ask questions regarding the dog that you will buy. Ask the breeder what kind of experience they have, the history of the dog, and what is going to be included. A good breeder will always ask the buyer questions as well.
- A good breeder will belong to a reputable club such as the American Rottweiler Club, Colonial Rottweiler Club, etc.
- Check with a local animal shelter or rescue to see what kind of dogs are available. Even if there are not any available, most are more than happy to place you on a waiting list in case one becomes available.
- If you are only looking for a companion for your home, do not worry so much about the history and whether or not the dog comes from a champion bloodline. Just find a dog that is healthy and has a good demeanor.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.