How Much Does Sill Plate Replacement Cost?
The sill plate is one of the most important of a house since it acts as a load distributor, making sure that the weight of the house is evenly distributed to the foundation of the house. The replacement of the sill plate is necessary to make that the walls and the floor of the house do not sag and cause more damage. When there is noticeable damage to the sill, it should be taken care of quickly since leaving this problem unchecked could cause the deterioration of other structural members such as the floor joists.
How much is it?
- The cost will depend on the number of beams that need to be replaced, the complexity of the project, the geographical location and contractor performing the job. On average, plan on spending anywhere from $50 to as much as $140 per linear foot to have the job done.
- According to the website MGIHomeInspection.com, the cost to have the sill repaired or replaced can cost $50 to $100 per linear foot. This is simply an approximate cost for labor alone.
- GalTTech.com is another informative site that can give you information regarding sill replacement. The price of having the sill replaced according to the site can range from $85 to $120 per linear foot.
What is going to be included?
- If you are able to find a contractor that performs sill replacement, they may include both labor and purchasing of the materials needed for the project. An assessment of the damage will be performed and the cost estimation will follow soon after. The laborers will be doing all the installation and will use all equipment necessary. They will also be responsible for the cleanup of the area of construction.
What are the extra costs?
- It is inevitable that you will have to purchase materials such as beams with which you replace the sill. This is what makes up the extra cost for having sill replacement projects.
- Other costs involved when you have your sill replaced are the repair of any other damage that happened as a result of letting the sills go unchecked.
Tips to know:
- The moment you notice your sill sagging, you need to have it repaired immediately so you do not have to replace it completely. Since leaving sill damage unchecked can also damage other parts of the foundation or it can spread to other parts of the house, the cost can be greater if it is ignored.
How can I save money?
- Although there are contractors that you can hire to do the sill replacement, you can perform the project yourself like a lot of other home improvement projects. Purchasing materials for sill replacement is inevitable and you will want to buy the best materials out there so the sill will last as long as possible. Hiring contractors for sill replacement can be averted and will enable you to save money.
- If you do need to hire a contractor, try to use services such as ServiceMagic.com to find the best contractor quotes in your area.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.