How Much Does Skin Removal Surgery Cost?
Skin removal is the process of removing excess skin after a great amount of weight is lost. When a person gains weight, the skin stretches; however, when a person loses weight after gaining hundreds of pounds worth of body mass, the skin is left sagging. This scenario is pretty common, especially for people who have undergone a gastric bypass procedure.
How much does skin removal surgery cost?
- Skin removal surgery is usually performed by plastic surgeons. The skin removal surgery cost depends on the geographical location of the clinic where the procedure will be performed. Other factors involved when considering the price for the surgery is the skill and experience of the surgeon who will perform the surgery. The amount of skin that needs to be removed will also be a factor.
- On average, plan on spending anywhere from $3,000 to $40,000 without any type of insurance. A larger part such as the abdomen could cost $6,000 to $12,000 while a smaller area such as the chest could be in the $4,000 to $6,500 range.
- Patients that have health insurance will find that this type of procedure will not normally be covered. Unless it is deemed medically necessary, patients will have to pay for all of the bill. The only way medical insurance companies pay for this procedures is if an infection or serious side effect occurs.
- According to the website DocShop.com, the procedure can range anywhere from $5,000 to $8,000.
- Middleton Cosmetic Surgery Clinic located in Toronto, Canada, is a clinic that offers skin removal surgery. According to their website, it can cost anywhere from $3,500 to $10,000. This is specifically done on the tummy area where fat in the abdominal area causes the skin to sag greatly.
What is going to be included?
- Before the skin removal surgery is performed, the doctor you choose will provide information regarding the procedure, such as a step by step walk through of the surgery. They will also assess the body’s condition to determine if it is fit to undergo the surgery. Consultations with the doctor will be required to gain a better understanding of the surgery.
What are the extra costs?
- After the procedure has been completed, you may have to remain in the hospital for a day or two. If there was a lot of skin that needed to be removed, you may have to remain in the hospital longer. Each night spent in the hospital can exceed more than $1,000.
- Since the procedure will require a local anesthesia, this can cost anywhere from $750 to as much as $1,500 depending on the hospital billing.
Tips to know:
- Like any other surgeries, there are risks involved when undergoing skin removal surgery. The risks include blood loss, formation of excess fluids under the skin, and abnormal heart rate. The side effects of skin removal surgery can be reduced by following the doctor’s instructions and advice.
- When choosing a professional to perform this surgery, it is best to look for surgeons that are FACS or ASAPS members.
How can I save money?
- To save on costs for getting skin removal surgery, you can check the price among different surgeons to get the most competitive price that can be offered to you. Make sure that you have this procedure performed only as necessary since most people only do this for cosmetic purposes.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.