How Much Does a Sliding Glass Door Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
A sliding glass door is a type of sliding door that is often a large glass window opening that provides access from the inside to the outdoors. A sliding door is usually made of two sections: one side will be fixed, while the other will be mobile and can opened back and forth.
How much is it?
- The cost of a sliding glass door will depend on the size, brand, if a contractor is needed and where it’s being purchased. On average, plan on spending anywhere from $500 to as much as $3,000 for the door itself. Keep in mind that this is not going to include the professional installation fees.
- A standard five to six foot door can be on the lower end, costing $500 to $1,000. A larger door that measures eight feet or higher can cost $1,000 to $2,000. Higher end doors that are taller than 12 feet can cost upwards of $3,000.
- To have a contractor install the sliding door, the installation prices alone can cost anywhere from $500 to $1,500. This will greatly depend on the door as well as the contractor you hire to install it.
- For instance, Marvin.com is an online store that has a lot of differently designed sliding and swinging glass doors. One of the designs that they have is the sliding patio which usually costs anywhere from $1,100 to $1,800.
- Another type of sliding door that you can purchase from this store has a design called “sliding French.” The style of this sliding glass door is more elaborate and usually costs anywhere from $1100 to $2100.
- BathShowerStore.com is yet another store that sells sliding glass doors that can be used in the bathroom, and one of the models that they have is the shower steam sliding glass shower door. This door has several configurations from which you can choose. You will be able to select the type of door frame as well as the type of glass that will be used for the door. The price of the sliding glass doors sold for the bathroom usually ranges anywhere from $500 to $1,200.
What is going to be included?
- Sliding glass doors will usually include different parts such as the frame and glass. You will be able to select from a variety of different designs and materials depending on your preference. Common sliding doors come with an aluminum frame and glass panels. With so many designs, each door will vary with its design.
- Some doors that are made of thicker glass will provide better insulation. The thinner the glass, the more cold air may be let in during the winter months.
- Each door will come with the hardware needed to install the door.
What are the extra costs?
- There are some stores that will offer installation together with the purchase of the glass door, but there are stores that do not offer this option and you will have to hire a contractor to do the installation for you. As mentioned above, plan on budgeting at least $500 to $1,000 to have a sliding door installed.
- Due to the weight of a sliding door, shipping charges may apply.
- Consider the trim around the door. If trim has to be installed or replaced, additional fees can apply. Trim will usually cost less than $100 for both labor and materials.
- Most people choose to have a screen door on the outside of the sliding glass door. This allows you to leave the glass door open to feel a nice breeze while keeping out flies and other unwanted insects.
How can I save money?
- To save money, there are many different stores that offer packages that include installation. Take this opportunity rather than buying from a store that does not offer installation with your purchase.
- If you are going to hire a contractor to install a sliding door, make sure that you use websites such as ServiceMagic.com to help you find the lowest quote in your area.
- Those that are handy may want to consider installing a sliding door themselves. With many great guides online, you can ask a friend to help you complete the job without hiring a contractor.