How Much Does it Cost to Fix a Tablet Screen?
While a tablet’s screen may seem indestructible, it really is not. Just like a smartphone, a tablet screen is prone to cracking or breaking if it is dropped. Instead of buying a new tablet, replacing the screen could be a less expensive option to consider.
How much is it?
- On average, the cost to repair a table screen can range anywhere from $100 to as much as $300. For example, the Apple iPad can cost upwards of $500 to have repaired at the official Apple Store. The cost will depend on the tablet make and model, degree of damage and the professional performing the repair.
- For example, MissionRepair.com charges $129 for its cracked glass repair service. If the entire screen has to be replaced, it can cost $189.
- According to this MoneyNing.com article, the Apple Store quoted $599 for a base rate, while a third-party provider charged anywhere from $150 to $200.
What is going to be included?
- With most repair jobs, the back cover on your device will be removed. From there the battery will be removed and any exposed cabling will be loosened. The back will be removed from the chassis and the new screen will be installed. If the screen is cracked, the screen may not be replaced, but instead, a special sealant/product may be used to hide the cracks.
What are the extra costs?
- If doing the job yourself, you may incur extra costs when buying the necessary tools for the repair.
- If other repairs have to be done to the tablet, such as speakers, WiFi, docking or fixing the power button, additional fees can apply.
- Using an online service may result in additional shipping charges.
Tips to know:
- Check with the manufacturer to see if the tablet is still under warranty. If it is, the repair could be next to nothing if no deductible is applied.
- If you take your tablet to an outside party to have it repaired, it could void the warranty.
- If you used a credit card, check with them to inquire about their protection program. Some users claimed that they were able to get their credit card company to replace it.
- Just like a crack in a windshield, table screen cracks can expand over time. If you have a small crack, take it in right away to see if it can be repaired rather than replaced. If you wait too long to take it in and the crack expands too much, the screen will probably need to be replaced instead.
- If you purchase all the items needed to repair or replace the screen yourself and it turns out well, consider using that to help other people repair their screens for a small charge. You may even be able to turn a profit if you perform quality work.
How can I save money?
- Most of the time, third party repair stores are going to be a lot cheaper than the authorized dealer. Online services will usually have the lowest repair price, but you have to consider the shipping charges as well.
- The best way to save money on table screen repair is to simply avoid it by protecting your tablet. Purchase a carrying case as well as screen protectors so that if you do drop it, the table will be protected from cracks and scratches.
- If you have an older tablet, compare the prices of a newer one or even a slightly used model. You may find that it could be just as cheap to buy a newer unit rather than repair it.
- Consider doing the repair yourself. Depending on the type of tablet, there are many how-to guides on the web that can walk you through the process. As stated above, this can cost less than $80 to perform the whole job.
- Most online repair service centers offer quotes directly on their website. Try your best to get a handful of quotes and see who meets your budget.
- Most touch screens still work perfectly fine even when cracked. If the crack does not impair the vision too badly, you may just want to deal with it.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.