How Much Does a Tub to Shower Conversion Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
A tub to shower conversion is often done by homeowners who simply want to convert their tub into a shower only. Going this route can create more room in the bathroom or work well for people have a harder time stepping over the tub.
How much does it cost?
- On average, most professional conversion jobs are going to be between $4,500 and $13,000. However, the prices can be a lot higher if a premium shower or complex setup is required. A lot of factors that affect the cost includes the type of shower being installed, the setup, the demolition needed, the contractor and geographical area.
- Because each job is going to be different, it is best to get exact quotes from free services such as HomeAdvisor.com.
- According to Lone Star Remodeling And Renovation, a remodeler based in San Antonio, Texas, the average cost for a remodeling project depends on the type of materials used and the overall complexity of the installation. A previous basic tub to shower conversion project it had in the past year cost $6,455.
- Convertabath, a home improvement professional based in Chandler, Arizona, offers a do-it-yourself tub to shower conversion kit that costs $430 plus shipping and handling fees. The kit converts a bathtub to a walk in shower in a matter of hours. Installation requires basic hand tools.
What is going to be included?
- A tub to shower conversion often has a low step-over threshold compared to a regular tub’s that is 16 inches or higher. The conversion project may begin with a notch or full cut tub to shower conversion and addition to a shower curtain, and a hinge-type shower door, or custom-built sliding doors in polished chrome or obscure tempered glass.
- Converting the tub to a shower can mean an upgrade on the fixtures and accessories in the bath, such as matching soap shelves, shower seats, or a complementing window kit, to either complement or match the new installation. Or, new features can be added such as multi-shower heads and rain heads. Depending on the remodeler or service provider, additional tub to shower conversion options may include installation of grab bars, refinishing of the entire tub, attaching custom-built shower seats, and upgrading shower doors. The process of converting a bathtub to a shower generally takes about a day to complete, or at most, a day and a half.
What are the extra costs?
- Fixture upgrades, as well as new accessories, are often necessary to supplement or to showcase the updated design. These include shower heads, faucets, soap dishes or soap dispensers, a towel bar or a towel ring, shelving, a tissue holder, a robe hook, and a corner caddy.
- Higher end shower inserts such as one made from glass can cost three times more than a standard acrylic shower.
Tips to know:
- A good remodeler will take into account all cost and measurements to give a precise price of a fully-installed shower. He will also provide a clear plan on how to go about the conversion task and what design will be most suitable for your situation. Additionally, they will have a precise timeframe for the completion of the installation so that there is less hassle to the homeowner.
- Acrylic shower bases require low maintenance and can be cleaned using basic soap and water. With the acrylic base, there is no need for scrubbing and cleaning of grout joints. Plus, compared with marble, tile or solid surface shower base, acrylic is more cost-effective. The reason is that it is manufactured in larger quantities, making it more affordable than other shower base materials.
- A tub to shower conversion is also suitable for a home with seniors. The reason is that conversions can be made to have an easy-step, slip-resistant shower pan that helps reduce falls and slipping. Grab bars installed also add to their safety Make sure you place grab bars in the appropriate places and make sure that the seat is in the right place and is the right size.
How can I save money?
- Obtain free quotes for your tub to shower conversion project. Most remodelers provide free in-home appointments to explore the area and to look for the best conversion options.
- Low price guarantees on certain products and installations can provide significant savings. Many remodelers offer this, so if you have already placed your order and you find a lower price on a similar product or installation, make sure to inform them. They are normally more than willing to beat the price if the requirements are met.
- Many Home Depots hold sales every now and then. If you are looking for fixtures or accessories to upgrade your current ones, make sure to check online for special deals and offers.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.