How Much Does a Urologist Visit Cost?
Urologists are medical doctors who help diagnosis and treat the male and female reproductive system in particular. Urologists are known to be one of the highest paid specialized physicians in the health industry, and if you need to visit one soon, you will find the prices will be all over the place.How much does it cost?
- Plan on budgeting anywhere from as little as $100 to as much as $350 for a simple consultation with a urologist. This price will not include any other services such as lab tests, procedures, etc. The costs will depend on the type of visit, if additional tests are needed, the doctor and geographical location.
What is going to be included?
- A urologist is able to focus on medical diseases in the male and female urinary tract and male reproductive organs. They study the kidneys, urinary bladder, urethra adrenal glands and the entire male reproductive system.
- Common issues that they study are bladder stones, cancer, erectile dysfunction, and vasectomies.
- The urologist doing your examination should be well trained and licensed to work as one. He or she should be certified by the urology board. Your urologist could be a certified specialist for adult or pediatric urology, or he/she could be considered both.
What are the extra costs?
- The prices mentioned above only include an initial consultation without any sort of work. These prices will not include medication and laboratory expenses. Therefore, it is your obligation to pay for and obtain the prescribed medicines and fees for the medical laboratories. It also will not include any necessary surgeries that may be required down the road.
- Most urologists require a referral from a family doctor for new patients, unless it is an emergency situation. Because of this, you will need to see your family doctor ahead of time.
Factors that influence the price
- Doctor’s experience. Doctors who tend to have more experience will have a larger patient base. The higher this doctor is in demand, the larger the fees may be.
- Geographical location. The asking price of every doctor is also be based on the location of the clinic or hospital they are providing their services. Urologists located in metropolitan areas, such as New York City, usually have higher professional rates compared to those in rural areas.
- Reason for seeing a urologist. There are different reasons why there is a need to see a urologist. If you only need consultation, you may not need to pay a lot. However, if you need a urologist for surgery, the costs will obviously be higher.
Tips to know:
- Talk with a urologist ahead of time to see what they can do for you. Most offices will be more than happy to give you a quote over the phone.
- You shouldn’t have a hard time looking for urologists to help you with your case. There are actually quite a number of urologists in just every town. If you don’t know where to turn, ask your general practitioner for a referral.
- You can as well ask your family, relatives, friends or co-workers to suggest a good urologist.
- Urologists fall at the fifth spot of the highest paid medical practitioners according to Medscape.com. It is said that urologists earn an average of $303,000 annually.
How can I save money?
- If you have health insurance, they will more than likely cover just about every procedure a urologist performs. For those looking for a new policy, consider browsing through hundreds for free at eHealthInsurance.com.
- If you do not have health insurance, you can always ask your Urologist for a discount by paying in cash or even by a credit card. Most offices are more than willing to negotiate on the final price.
- There are also medical practitioners who voluntarily offer their services to low-income and uninsured individuals. There are also government programs that can help you in this area. If you do not know where to turn, consider talking with your local health department.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.