How Much Does a Jet Ski Cost?
Contrary to popular belief, the Jet Ski is a brand name for a personal watercraft manufactured by Kawasaki Heavy Industries. The Jet Ski is often identified as the BMX of water sports since there are plenty of tricks that can be performed using this watercraft. The price of a Jet Ski varies depending on the brand, features, condition and where it’s purchased from.
How much is it?
- On average, a jet ski can cost as little as $1,500 used to as much as $15,000. When shopping for a jet ski, it will be fairly comparable to purchasing a car. The year, features, mileage, the number of passengers it fits, the model, and more will affect the price range.
- Kawasaki, a popular company that manufacturers Jet Skis directly, has a wide selection of newer Jet Skis that can be purchased through a local dealer. Newer Jet Skis, according to our research, can range anywhere from $6,000 to $15,000. Refer to our table below to see what the average model will cost.
- On Reddit, for example, members claimed they had paid anywhere from $1,200 for a 1994 Sea Doo to $2,500 for two 1996 Seadoo GTXs.
- Used Jet Skis can commonly be found on sites such as Craigslist and eBay. On average, a used Jet Ski in good condition can cost anywhere $2,700 to $8,000. Many sellers often include two jet skis and a trailer, which can make it a rather good deal compared to purchasing one new.
|SPARK™ 2 UP ROTAX 900 ACE||$5,299|
|SPARK™ 2 UP ROTAX 900 H.O. ACE||$5,899|
|SPARK™ 3 UP ROTAX 900 H.O. ACE||$6,499|
|GTI™ SE 130||$10,399|
|GTI™ SE 155||$10,999|
|GTI™ LIMITED 155||$12,399|
|GTR™ -X 230||$12,999|
|GTX S 155||$13,599|
|WAKE™ PRO 230||$14,499|
|GTX LIMITED 230||$14,999|
|RXP™ X 300||$15,299|
|RXT™ X 300||$15,499|
|GTX LIMITED 300||$15,999|
|GTX LIMITED S 260||$16,999|
What are the extra costs?
- Registration and insurance will be required, and each state has its own law when it comes down to registering a watercraft. Jet ski insurance can cost about $30 to $40 per month, depending on the insurance carrier you choose.
- A trailer will be necessary to tow the watercraft if one is not included with your purchase. A brand new jet ski trailer can cost $150 to $900.
- Maintenance will be another factor to consider. This will include gas, minor repairs, a new battery, anodes, spark plugs in the future or even a set of replacement keys if you were to lose them.
- Storage needs to be considered if you don’t have the room at home. A smaller storage unit can cost about $50 per month.
- Factor in accessories such as life jackets, storage bags, towing accessories and panel kits. The official Sea-Doo.com website has a list of accessories you may want to consider.
Tips to know
- A four-stroke jet ski is cheaper for gas, but according to owners, the repairs will be more if it were to break down.
How can I save money?
- Highly consider purchasing a used jet ski. This is a great way to save up to 60% off on your purchase. You may want to bring a mechanic with you to find out if the Jet Ski is still in good condition.
- You can opt to rent Jet Skis in case you will not use them often enough to warrant a purchase. There are companies that lease Jet Skis and they can cost considerably less than buying one. See: “How much does it cost to rent a jet ski?“
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.